Thursday 14 February 2013

50 musicals challenge: singin' in the rain









07 - Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Starring: Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds
Rating: 10/10
IMDB
In 1927, Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont are a famous on-screen romantic pair. Lina, however, mistakes the on-screen romance for real love. Don has worked hard to get where he is today, with his former partner Cosmo. When Don and Lina's latest film is transformed into a musical, Don has the perfect voice for the songs. But Lina - well, even with the best efforts of a diction coach, they still decide to dub over her voice. Kathy Selden is brought in, an aspiring actress, and while she is working on the movie, Don falls in love with her.



Taster: Singin' in the Rain



This is my favourite movie of all time and I don't need any excuse to watch it! One of my biggest regrets is that I only saw it for the first time last year! Since then I've watched the film numerous times and saw the stage show in London and at the beginning of next month I'm going to see a showing of the film accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall which I'm super excited about! There simply aren't enough words to describe just how much I love this film! I remain shocked and appalled that in 2003 the British public only ranked this #6 in a countdown of the greatest movie musicals!*

Safe to say, Singin' in the Rain is all kinds of wonderful! It's impossible to be sad or angry or downhearted when watching it - it's the film equivalent of a bear hug! It's bright and colourful, full of beautiful costumes, incredible tapdancing and some of the best musical numbers ever performed on screen. 'Singin' in the Rain', 'Good Mornin'' and 'Make 'Em Laugh' are the most famous numbers but the others are all great - I'm particularly fond of the ballet-inspired segment in 'Gotta' Dance' which is staggeringly beautiful. The whole thing is full of charm and bursting with joy and is just the GREATEST! If this challenge inspires you to do nothing else I hope that it inspires any of you who haven't seen it to give it a shot - I guarantee you won't regret it!

*You can see the full list here.

No comments:

Post a Comment