Monday 1 July 2013

monthly roundup: june 2013

My dissertation has continued to kick my ass this month but fortunately June was a good enough month pop culture-wise to make up for it. The books I read this month ranged from the 'more-readable-than-I-thought-they-would-be' modern classics I'm reading for my dissertation to the !!!!!!!!!!!!!-inducingly wonderful Rose Under Fire. While none of the movies I watched quite made it to a 5* rating, I really really liked all of them: like good rom-coms should both When Harry Met Sally and Populaire left me feeling all warm and fuzzy;  I loved the first half of Man of Steel so much that even the last act's violence fest didn't entirely turn me off and although Before Midnight didn't make for the most comfortable viewing, the writing was so great (both in terms of its honesty and its snappiness) that I could quite happily have sat watching them for another half hour!

Coming up in July: more books and some movies for my dissertation (up next: Evelyn Waugh and D. H. Lawrence), kids movies (Despicable Me 2 and Monsters University) and my holiday!


books read

Connie Willis - Doomsday Book (6/10)
Katie McGarry - Pushing the Limits (6/10)
Elizabeth Wein - Rose Under Fire (9/10)
Ford Madox Ford - The Good Soldier (6/10)
W. Somerset Maugham - The Painted Veil (6/10)
Rainbow Rowell - Eleanor & Park (8/10)



new movies watched

When Harry Met Sally (8/10)
Populaire^ (8/10)
Man of Steel^ (8/10)
Much Ado About Nothing^ (7/10)
Before Midnight^  (8/10)


music

Listen

Happy - Pharrell Williams
This Head I Hold (Rudi Zygadlo Remix) - Electric Guest
Pony Come Back (Ginuwine x Kill Paris x Daft Punk) - BootOX
Undressed (Oliver Nelson Remix) - Kim Cesarion
Cold Front - Laura Welsh
Cosmic Shadow (KT Tunstall x Florence & the Machine x Seven Lions) - ElectroSound
What You Know About Staying Awake? (Two Door Cinema Club x Ellie Goulding) - Flipboitamidles
Say Yr Name (Destiny's Child x Slow Magic) - The Hood Internet
Warm Water - Banks

No comments:

Post a Comment